Do you want to get started on growing your own CBD plants but don’t know where to begin? Fret not as we’ve got you covered with the perfect farming plan. Growing CBD plants in your outdoor garden can be a delightful and rewarding experience. At the same time, it involves a lot of hard work and can be challenging if you do not know the intricacies of growing such plants at home.
If you are a beginner, a small outdoor garden might be the perfect space to experiment because it is cost-effective and can yield plenty of quality produce. An indoor space, on the other hand, might be costly with limited resources.
Millions of people across the globe use the cannabinoid CBD derived from hemp for the many health benefits that if offers. A species of the cannabis plant, hemp is harvested for commercial purposes and is regarded as the crop for the future. Hemp-derived CBD is the only kind that is legan in most countries around the world, with strict regulations surrounding it.
CBD is available in different forms – tinctures, capsules, isolate, etc, for consumers to reap its benefits. You can get CBD capsules in Canada from online as well as offline dispensaries.
Steps to grow CBD plants:
1) Pick a space for your plants:
The planting area for growing CBD plants can have a major effect on your yield. It would be best if you first examined the space and its environmental conditions before you start cultivating.
There are numerous factors you must take into consideration before planting the seeds:
- Sunlight: The outdoor garden must be a place that receives direct sunlight, especially during midday, when the light is best. If the plants receive less than six hours of sunlight exposure, it may affect them negatively.
- Breeze: An area that receives constant breeze would be an ideal choice if you live in a place with hot climate. You must also ensure to keep a distance of 1 to 1,5 meters between plants to keep the breeze flowing. If space is bigger, the plants can be further apart as well.
- Water: Hemp plants usually require moisture abundantly to thrive, especially during the germination period. Hence, it is crucial that you choose a place where irrigation water is easily accessible and preferably, not chemically treated.
2) Choosing the seeds:
Choosing the right seeds for your CBD garden is another crucial step in your cultivation journey. There are different types of seeds that you can start from, i.e. regular, feminized, or auto-flowering with each of them having their benefits.
- Regular seeds are inexpensive. Being a beginner, you’r likely to encounter several mistakes. Hence you might want to start with such seeds. Moreover, you will get a thorough idea of the plant life cycle, so you know exactly what requires to thrive.
- Feminized seeds are beneficial to regular seeds. There is no need to identify the gender of plants, unlike that in regular seeds. Hence the cultivation is simpler, faster, and uniform.
- If you have a small space for growing the plants, auto-flowering plants might be a perfect choice. They are small, fast-maturing plants.
- You can also start your journey with a clone.
3) Get the best quality soil for your seeds:
You can plant the seeds directly in the ground or containers filled with soil. One cannot stress enough how important the quality of soil is for the plant. Hemp plants thrive in soil that is rich in organic matter. Well aerated soil that allows adequate water retention should be perfect for this cultivation.
You must dig holes at least 50cm deep in the soil where you are planning to place your cannabis plants, at least a month before planting the seeds. Fill these holes with worm castings, compost, and manure to improve the structure and fertility of the soil. It will provide the required nutrition to your plants.
You can also choose to sterilize your soil to get rid of harmful pathogens. This is usually done by exposing the area to high temperatures through the methods of solarization and steam sterilization. This will ensure a safe environment for your CBD plants to thrive.
4) Protecting the plant:
Unlike indoor gardens, you cannot control the environment of an outdoor farming area. You must protect your plants from unfavorable weather conditions that could cause massive damage or even kill the plants. The exposure of CBD plants to strong winds, especially when flowering, can be destructive.
Are you wondering how you can protect your beautiful homegrown plants? A properly designed, outdoor space is essential to keep your CBD plants safe and secure. You can use the tie and support system to hold the plants in their position to withstand the strong winds. Using a simple plastic sheet to cover the plants will shield them from the rain. Protecting your plants from pests can be a bit challenging. However, if your plants are healthy and vigorous, they can resist such minor infestations.
Growing CBD plants outdoors is an enjoyable and satisfying process. One must never undermine the therapeutic value of gardening. If you keep the factors mentioned above in mind and plan everything effectively, there shouldn’t be any problem with the cultivation. That is what will determine the quality of your harvest. Some patience and attention to your plants can provide a lot of benefits.
So, roll your sleeves and get ready to spend some relaxing time outdoors with your plants: Happy growing!